03/2015 – present:Ph.D. Student Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, UCI, Irvine
- Research in fabrication of suspended C-IDEAS (Carbon- Interdigitated Electrode Arrays) via Electro-Mechanical Spinning, Two-Photon Polymerization and Photolithography; Integration of C-IDEAs on the CD
- Teaching Assistant for Heat and Mass Transfer MAE 120 and Advanced Manufacturing Choices ENGR 165/265
- Graduate Student Researcher at RapidTech and Fabworks
10/2012 – 12/2014: M. Sc. Mechanical Engineering and Management (Dipl. Ing. (TUM)),TUM, Germany
Emphasis on Product Development, Production Techniques, Lean Manufacturing
- Master’s thesis, RapidTech, UCI, Irvine:
“Development of a 3D printed Lab-on-the-Chip Immunoassay Controlled by a Smartphone”,Invention Disclosure on developed Immunoassay
- Semester thesis: “Modeling of Information Exchange between Product Development and Production”
10/2008 – 09/2012: B. Sc. Mechanical Engineering and Management, TUM, Germany
- Bachelor’s thesis: “Procedure of technical and economical assessment of ultrasonic handling for the assembly of printed boards”
09/1999 – 07/2008: Abitur (similar to British A levels), DvL Gymnasium Viechtach, Germany
Publications & Patents:
03/2016,Sunny Holmberg, Arnoldo Salazar, Maria Bauer, Marc Madou Electrostatic Jet Initiation in Electrimechanical Spinning (EMS) for the fabrication of sub-micrometer suspended carbon fibers, ICOMM 2016.
09/201, Lawrence Kulinsky, Maria Bauer, Edward Tackett 3D Printed Mini Trumpet Lab in Chip,Invention Disclosure, UC Case No. 2015-219-1.
Professional Experience and Internships
Since 06/2014: Graduate Student Researcher at RapidTech, UCI, Irvine
- Consulting and Manufacturing for Rapid Prototyping/Manufacturing projects.
- SolidWorks Instructor for UCI students, Community Colleges and online tutorials.
- Presenting during various events on different Additive Manufacturing Technologies.
- Leading a group of students for the construction of a Material Extrusion printer for Tissue Engineering
09/2013 – 12/2014: Trainee in the development program “TEAM”, TUM, Germany
- Participated in mentoring program and field trips to MAN Truck & Bus AG and BMW AG
09/2011– 02/2012: Student Trainee, MAN Truck & Bus AG, Munich, Germany
Corporate Indirect Purchase of consulting, IT and tooling equipment
- Negotiated with suppliers
- Coordinated and executed purchase projects across the group (from supplier sourcing to purchasing products and services)
10/2010 – 02/2011: Engineering Internship, MAN Truck & Bus AG, Munich, Germany
Corporate Indirect Purchase of maintenance and logistic services
- Verified offers for fulfillment of technical and economical requirements
- Participated in daily business (supplier sourcing and selection, ordering process)
06/2008 – 08/2008: Manufacturing Internship, gabo Systemtechnik GmbH, Niederwinkling, Germany
- Constructed forms for deep-drawing and executed deep drawing of thermoplastics
- Executed cutting processes (CNC milling and turning, drilling, thread cutting, filing)
- Tested components (thermal resistance, tensile tests) for quality assurance
07/2007 – 08/2007: Internship in laboratory, UIS Umweltinstitut synlab GmbH, Pocking, Germany
- Executed examination of drinking and bathing water, sterilization control
- Raised, differentiated and evaluated germs
Voluntary Activities and Awards
06/2014 – 12/2014, Scholarship PROMOS (German Academic Exchange Service).
08/2008 – 09/2008, IDEM e.V., Manenberg, South Africa,Contributed to building a nursery school.
06/2008, Award by DPG (German Physical Association) for best achievements in physics of age group, DvL Gymnasium Viechtach, Germany
06/2007 , 1.Grade in “Bundeswettbewerb Mathematik” in Germany (federal competition in mathematics)
Technologies: UV-Photolithography, SEM, FIB, E-Beam evaporation, Electrospinning, Laser Cutting, CNC Lathe, CNC Router
Additive Technologies: Material Extrusion, Material Jetting, Binder Jetting, Powder, Bed Fusion, Vat Photopolimerization, Selective Laser Sintering
Computer literacy: SolidWorks , MS Office , SAP R3/MM, MATLAB, Arduino, CATIA V5
Languages: German (native language), English (fluent), French (5 years in school, 2006 student exchange with France)