|Ph.D, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Riverside||Sep 2012|
|Thesis Title: High-throughput Synthesis and Metrology of Graphene Materials|
|M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Riverside||May 2012|
|Thesis Title: Block Copolymer-assisted Tuning of Electron Transport in Graphene Field Effect Devices|
|M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Tech. (IUST), Tehran, Iran||Aug 2007|
|Thesis Title: Thermo-Economic Analysis of Combined Heat and Power Gas Turbine Systems|
|B.S., Mechanical Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran||Sep 2004|
|Thesis Title: Dynamic Behavior of Ni-Ti Shape Memory Structures|
|Project Scientist, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine, CA||Aug 2015 – Present|
|Graduate Coordinator, Department of Mechanical Engineering, California State University, Fresno, CA||Jan 2015 – Present|
|Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, California State University, Fresno, CA||Aug 2013 – Present|
|Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA||Mar 2011 – June 2013|
|Assistant Project Scientist, Biomaterials & Nanotechnology Lab, University of California, Riverside, CA||Sep 2012 – Sep 2013|
|Conte National Center for Polymer Research, Amherst, MA, NSF-MRSEC Academic Intern, University of Massachusetts, Amherst||Jul 2009 – Sep 2009|
|Graduate Research Assistant, Center for Nanoscale Science & Engineering, University of California, Riverside, CA||Sep 2007 – Aug 2012|
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
|Visiting Professorship Award, Lüneburg University, Lüneburg , Germany||2014|
|Inside Cover – “Non-invasive High-Throughput Metrology of Functionalized Graphene”, Advanced Functional Materials journal (2012), Volume 22, Issue 21||2012|
|Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments (DEED) Award, American Public Power Association (APPA)||2011|
|Frontispiece Cover – “Centimeter-scale Metrology of Entire CVD-grown Graphene Sheets”, SMALL journal (2011), Volume 7, Issue 18||2011|
|Dissertation Year Award, University of California, Riverside||2011|
|Best Symposium Presentation Award, 2011 Materials Research Society (MRS)||2011|
|Graduate Division Dissertation Grant, University of California, Riverside||2010–2011|
|Dean’s Distinguished Fellowship Award, University of California, Riverside||2007– 2009|
|Manufacturing, Processing, and Application of Nanoscale Materials and Devices|
|Scalable Nanomanufacturing Techniques, Advanced Materials Deposition and CVD Growth, MEMS/NEMS, High-throughput Processing and Metrology of Nano-materials and Devices, Graphene, Carbon Nanotubes|
|Advanced Manufacturing and 3D Printing|
|Nanomaterials-based Filaments for 3D Printing, Lithography-based Fabrication, Electronics Manufacturing, Processing and Characterization of 3D Printed Structures, Bottom-Up Fabrication|
|Renewable Energy Harvesting – Nano-engineered Energy Systems|
|Nanomaterials for Energy Conversion and Storage, Supercapacitors, Li-ion Batteries, Photovoltaics, Thermal-Fluid System Design and Management, Distributed Power Generation|
Manufacturing and Processing of Nano-Carbon Structures for Energy Storage Technologies
This project focuses on design and manufacturing of graphene-based nanostructures for application in energy, electronics, sensors, and thermal management technologies. Using a CVD technique, we successfully synthesized a class of 3D carbon hybrid structures that consist of vertically assembled CNT pillars on large-area graphene. The supercapacitor energy storage cells that utilize these nanostructures demonstrate high energy density and superb cycling stability, which holds promise for developing sustainable energy storage solutions.
- Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Development Award from American Public Power Association
- Related Patent: Graphene Based Electrodes and Applications
Nanotechnology-based Advanced Manufacturing and 3D Printing.
This project aims to investigate the opportunities and technical challenges associated with the emerging area of advanced manufacturing. Our research addresses different aspects of additive manufacturing, including: design optimization with rapid prototyping, optimization of the mechanical properties of 3D printed structures, electronic products fabrication, development of new photopolymers and composites materials for 3D printing, and distributed manufacturing. A common theme of this research is exploring the synergies between the design and manufacturing processes, as well as the correlations between the materials structures of the manufactured products and their final properties. Another important phase of this research is the development of post-manufacturing processes, which are aimed to improve the physical properties of the designed products.
Industrial Analysis and Processing of Thin Films
Common techniques for analysis of graphene and thin films are often slow and limited to small regions. This project aims to develop an industry-ready metrology for quick and easy identification of layer thickness, defects, and quality over large-area of graphene 2D sheets. The envisioned method relies on the fact that pristine graphene, doped graphene, and most nanomaterials quench fluorescence with different rates. This emerging metrology significantly facilitates application of graphene in sensors and MEMs technology.
- Featured in Nanotech-now.com, MaterialsViews.com, and Graphene Times
Bottom-Up Microfabrication and Processing with Block Copolymers (BCP) Self-Assembly.
In this project we apply BCP self-assembly to develop a set of microfabrication and patterning techniques for manufacturing functional nano-systems. BCPs are utilized to pattern the catalyst foundation of the targeted nanostructures that are subsequently synthesized by CVD technique. The design of these nanostructures will be primarily geared towards energy storage, electronics, MEMs, and sensors applications.
|Assistant Professor, California State University, Fresno||Aug 2013- Present|
|Design of Machine Elements (ME 154); fall 2013, fall 2014, fall 2015, spring 2016Mechanical Engineering Design – Project Based (ME 164); spring 2014, spring 2015, spring 2016
Theory of Elasticity (ME 241); spring 2015, spring 2016
Advanced Mechanics of Materials (ME 144); spring 2014
Engineering Materials Laboratory (ME 32); fall 2013, Spring 2014, fall 2014
Manufacturing Techniques for Microfabrication and Nanotechnology (ME 291T); fall 2015
Theory Elasticity (ME 241); spring 2015, spring 2016
Renewable Energy Systems (in collaboration – ME 191T); spring 2014
|Lecturer, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona||Mar 2011- Jun 2013|
|Mechanics of Materials I (ME 218); spring 2011, spring 2012Mechanics of Materials II (ME 219); winter 2012
Materials Science and Engineering (ME 315); summer 2012
Statics (ME 214); spring 2012, fall 2012
Heat Transfer (ETM 308); winter 2013
Strength of Materials Laboratory (ME & ETT 220L); spring 2012, spring 2013
Engineering Materials Laboratory (ME 350L); winter 2012, spring 2012, fall 2012, winter 2013
Awarded University Teaching Certificate, University of California, Riverside May 2012
- Ghazinejad, D. Askarai, “Mechanical Characteristics of Graphene-Carbon Nanotube Composites and their Application in Additive Manufacturing”, (under review)
- Ghazinejad, S. Guo, W. Wang, M. Ozkan. and C. S. Ozkan, “Synchronous Chemical Vapor Deposition of Large-area Hybrid Graphene-Carbon Nanotube Architectures”, Journal of Materials Research, 2013, 28, 958-968
- Ghazinejad, J. R. Kyle, S. Guo, W. Wang, V. Vullev. M. Ozkan. and C. S. Ozkan, “Non-invasive High-Throughput Metrology of Functionalized Graphene”, Advanced Functional Materials, 2012, 22, 4519–4525, (Selected for Inside Cover, featured in MaterialsViews.com, Nanotech-now.com, and Graphene Times).
- Guo*, M. Ghazinejad* (*equal contribution)., X. Qin, H. Sun, W. Wang, F. Zaera, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, “Tuning of Electron Transport in Graphene based Field Effect Devices using Block Co-Polymers”, Small, 2012, 8, 1073–1080,
- R. Kyle, A. Guvenc, W. Wang, M. Ghazinejad, J. Lin, S. Guo, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, “Centimeter-scale High-resolution Metrology of Entire CVD-grown Graphene Sheets”, Small, 2011, 7, 2599-2606.(Selected for Frontispiece Cover, featured in MaterialsViews.com and Nanotech-now.com.)
- Guo, J. Lin, M. Penchev, E. Yengel, M. Ghazinejad, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, “Label free DNA detection using large area graphene based field effect transistor biosensors”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2011, 11, 5258-5263.
- K. Paul, M. Ghazinejad, M. Penchev, J. Lin, M. Ozkan and C. S. Ozkan, “Synthesis of a Pillared Graphene Nanostructure: A Counterpart of Three-Dimensional Carbon Architectures”, Small, 2010, 6, 2309-2313.
- Lu, D. Bao, M. Penchev, M. Ghazinejad, V. I. Vullev, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, “Pyridine-Coated Lead Sulfide Quantum Dots for Polymer Hybrid Photovoltaic Devices”, Advanced Science Letters, 2010, 3, 101-109.
- K. Paul, M. Penchev, J. Zhong, M. Ozkan, M. Ghazinejad, X. Jing, E. Yengel and C. S. Ozkan, “Chemical Vapor Deposition and Electrical Characterization of Sub-10nm Diameter InSb Nanowires and Field-Effect Transistors”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2010, 121, 397-401.
- Ghazinejad and A. Shokuhfar, “Vibration Analysis of a Ni-Ti Shape Memory Alloy Rod”, Materials Science Forum, 2007, 553, 164-170.
- Sanaye, M. Ziabasharhagh and M. Ghazinejad, “Optimal Design of Gas Turbine CHP Plant with Preheater and HRSG”, International Journal of Energy Research, 2009, 33, 766-777.
- Shokuhfar, T. Shokuhfar, M. Ghazinejad, R. Babazade and S. Tabatabae, “An Experimental Study on Synthesis and Characterization of Silica Nanoparticles Prepared by Sol-Gel Method”, Materials Science Forum, 2007, 553, 245-251.
“Graphene Based Electrodes and Applications”, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, A. B. Guvenc, R. K. Paul, J. Lin, M. Ghazinejad, M. Penchev, S. Guo, J. Zhong, Publication Number: WO2014078807 A2, Publication Date: May 2014.
- Ghazinejad, H. H. Bay, J. R. Kyle, M. Ozkan and C. S. Ozkan, “Fluorescence Quenching Metrology of Graphene”, SPIE Proceedings, 2014, DOI: 10.1117/12.2040801
- H. Bay, M. Ghazinejad, M. Penchev, I. Ruiz, Z. Mutlu, M. Ozkan, and C. S. Ozkan, “Graphene Metrology Using Fluorescence Quenching of Different Fluorescent Dyes”, MRS Proceedings, 2012, 1451 (1), pp. 51-56.
- S. George, M. Ghazinejad, W. Wang, M. Ozkan and C. S. Ozkan, “Block Copolymer Assisted Fabrication of Graphene/Carbon Nanotube Hybrid Architectures and Their Application in Supercapacitors”, MRS Proceedings, 2012, 1440 (1), pp. 29-34.
- L. Pleskot, J. R. Kyle, M. Ghazinejad, S. Guo, I. Ruiz, M. Ozkan, C. S. Ozkan, “Large-area Metrology of CVD-grown Graphene Layers on Copper Foil Substrates”, MRS Proceedings, 2012, 1451, pp. 45-49
- Ghazinejad, S. Guo, R. K. Paul, A. S. George, M. Penchev, M. Ozkan and C. S. Ozkan, “Synthesis of graphene-CNT hybrid nanostructures”, MRS Proceedings, 2011, 1344 (1), pp. 23-27.
- Guo, M. Ghazinejad, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan,” Block co-polymer on graphene: doping of graphene and a robust chemical sensor”, 2011, MRS Proceedings, 1362 (1).
- R. Kyle, A. Guvenc, W. Wang, M. Ghazinejad, J. Lin, S. Guo, C. S. Ozkan and M. Ozkan, “Rapid Large-scale Characterization of CVD Graphene Layers on Glass using Fluorescence Quenching Microscopy”, MRS Proceedings, 2011, 1344 (1), pp. 35-40.
- Sanaye, M. Ghazinejad, “Thermoeconomic Optimization of Gas Turbine Combined Heat and Power System in a Paper Mill”, ASME Turbo Expo Proceedings, 2007, Volume 3, pp. 613-620 (GT2007-27206).
- Amidpour, O. Hamidkhani, M. Ghazinejad, “An Irreversible Compression, Deviation from the Ideal Process”, Proceedings of International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS), 2007, Volume I, pp. 423-431 (ECOS07-A11).
SELECTED, INVITED, & CONFERENCE TALKS
- Large-scale characterization of graphene and 2D materials (invited talk)
SPIE Optics + Photonics, San Diego, CA 8/21/2014
- Fluorescence Quenching Metrology of Graphene and 2D Nanostructures
SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, CA 2/06/2014
- High-throughput Manufacturing and Metrology of Graphene-based Systems (invited talk)
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 3/27/2013
- Graphene: Transforming a Materials Breakthrough into Viable Technology (invited talk)
California State University, Fresno, CA 2/28/2013
- Integrated Characterization-fabrication Approach Based on High-resolution Fluorescence Imaging of Entire CVD-grown Graphene Sheets, 2012 MRS Spring Meeting and Exhibit, San Francisco, CA 4/12/2012
- Pillared Graphene Nanostructure: a New 3D Carbon Hybrid Architecture,
SPIE NanoScience + Engineering, San Diego, CA 8/23/2011
- Synthesis of Graphene-CNT Hybrid Nanostructures,
2011 MRS Spring Meeting and Exhibit, San Francisco, CA 4/26/2011
- Block Co-polymer Patterning of Catalyst Arrays for Nano-Fabrics and MEMS, Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC), Conte National Center for Polymer Research, Amherst, MA 10/15/2009
- An Experimental Study on Synthesis and Characterization of Silica Nanoparticles Prepared by Sol-Gel Method, International Conference on Diffusion in Solids and Liquids (DSL 2006) Aveiro, Portugal 7/27/2006
|Associate EditorNano Communications (American Scientific Publishers)||Nov 2012-Present|
|Conference Chair & Editor, SPIE NanoScience + Engineering – 2015Conference on Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, and Emerging 2D Materials||August 2015|
|Conference Chair & Editor, SPIE NanoScience + Engineering – 2014Conference on Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, and Associated Devices||August 2014|
|Session Chair, Materials Research Society (MRS) Meeting & Exhibit – 2012Symposium on De Novo Carbon Nanomaterials||April 2012|
|MRS University Chapter PresidentUniversity of California Riverside||May 2010-May 2012|
Scientific Reports (Nature Publications)
Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures (SAGE Publications),
Journal of Materials Research (MRS Publications),
Materials Express (American Scientific Publishers)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
American Association of Engineering Education (ASEE)
Materials Research Society (MRS)
International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE), Conference Chair & Editor