- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, minor in Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 1998.
- M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 1995.
- B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 1993.
Micromanufacturing technologies, biomimetic devices, BioMEMs, drug delivery systems, biosensors, medical diagnostic platforms, microfluidics, intelligent materials systems, energy harvesting.
Project Scientist IV , 6/2007 – present, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine.
Research Specialist, 8/2005 – 6/2007 ,Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine.
Research Fellow, 1/1999 – 1/2000, University of California, Berkeley Research Assistant, 1/1996 – 12/1998, Biomedical Microdevices Center, University of California, Berkeley.
Research Assistant, 1/1992 – 12/1995, Ceramics Laboratory, Department of Materials Science, University of California, Berkeley.
University of California, Irvine
- MAE 120 “Heat Transfer” Sm’ 2006, Sm’ 2007, S’ 2015, Sm’ 2015 •
- MAE 130B “Introduction to Viscous S’ 2015, Sm’ 2015, and Compressible Flows” S’ 2016, Sm’ 2016 •
- MAE 153/ MAE 253 “Advanced BioMEMS” W’ 2013, W’ 2015, F’ 2015, F’ 2016 •
- MAE 150L “Mechanics of Structures Lab” F’ 2014 •
- MAE 252 “Fundamentals of Microfabrication” F’ 2014, W’ 2016 •
- BME 146/ MAE 253 “Miniaturization in Biotechnology” W’ 2012 •
- MAE 189/ CBEMS189 /BME 180 “Biomedical Applications in CD Fluidics” 2009-2013
- MAE 189/ CBEMS 189 “Advanced Composites and Structures” 2009-2012
University of California, Los Angeles
- MAE 131A “Intermediate Heat Transfer” F’ 2008 •
- MAE 103 “Elementary Fluid Mechanics” Sm’ and F’ 2008
University of California, Berkeley (Graduate Student Instructor)
- E 45 “Property of Materials” F’1997 •
- MSE 130A “Experimental Materials Science and Design” W’, S’1998.
CONSULTING/ ENGINEERING ACTIVITIES
- Sr. Design Engineer / Acting Director of HV FET Development, 2/2000 – 12/2005 , International Rectifier Corp., El Segundo, CA.
- Engineering Consultant 2/2006 – 4/2008 MedConx Inc., Santa Clara, CA
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES PI:
Research Contract with Beijing Institute of Aeronautical Materials (BIAM) “Optimization of Additive Manufacturing Technology for Aerospace Industry” ($320,000) 2015-2017.
Senior Researcher: National Institute of Health Grant NIH/NIAID 1 R01 “Point of Care Microfluidic Diagnosis System for Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Viral Respiratory Tract Infections” ($1,045,000) 2010-2014.
PI: Research Contract with Cook Medical “Automated Cell Cultures on CD” ($275,000) 2012-2014.
PI: UC-MEXUS “Electrical Detection of Phenol Based Contaminants in Water Using an Array of CMEMS Microelectrodes on a Rotating Platform” ($1,500) 2012-2013 Co-
PI: National Science Foundation Grant ECCS-0801792 “Collaborative Research: Extended Life Implantable Biosensor Platform” ($360,000) 2008-2012
Senior Researcher: National Science Foundation Grant NIRT-0709085 “C-MEMS/C-NEMS for Miniature Biofuel Cells” ($1,000,000) 2008-2011
Senior Researcher: UC Lab Fees Research Program award 09-LR-09-117362 “Fractal Electrodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries” ($1,000,000) 2008-2011
Supervised research activities and mentored 7 Ph.D. and 7 M.S. students since 2006. Directed an undergraduate research experience at BioMEMs Lab for 11 students participating in Undergraduate Research Opportunity (UROP), Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Information Technology (SURF-IT), and STEM Summer Bridge programs Lead international scientific collaborations with India, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, and Canada.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
- Chair of the International Conference of MicroManufacturing 2016 (Irvine, CA).
- Member at Large of the International Institution for MicroManufacturing (I2M2).
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Member of Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering.
- Member of the International Society for Optical Engineering.
- Reviewer: Lab on a Chip, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Sensors and Actuators: B, Analytica Chimica Acta, IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Micromachines, and Journal of Biomedical Microdevices.
- Editorial Board Member: Open Journal of Applied Biosensors NSF Panel Reviewer MathCount Coach in minority Emerson Middle School and Presenter of “Careers in Science” Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies (Los Angeles Unified School District).
Books and Book Chapters:
1. L. Kulinsky, M. Madou, “BioMEMS for Drug Delivery Applications”, in “MEMS for biomedical applications” edited by S. Bhansali and V. Vasudev; Woodhead Publishing (2012)
2. S. Soroori, L. Kulinsky, M. Madou, “Centrifugal Microfluidics – Characteristics and Possibilities”, Book “Microfluidics and Microscale Transport Processes” edited by Suman Chakraborty, PhD; Taylor and Francis, CRC Press. (2012)
3. L. Kulinsky, Z. Noroozi, and M. Madou, “Present Technology and Future Trends in Point of Care Microfluidic Diagnostics”, Book “Microfluidic Diagnostics: Methods and Protocols, Volume 1: Fabrication and Manipulation Protocols” edited by Colin D. Mansfield, PhD; Gareth Jenkins, PhD; Humana Press, Springer Science + Business Media LLC (2013)
4. L. Kulinsky, “Implantable Microbiosensors Towards In-vivo Monitoring”, Book “Nanobiosensors for Personalized and Onsite Biomedical Diagnosis” edited by Pranjal Chandra, PhD; IET Publishing (2016) Journals.
5. L. Kulinsky, J. D. Powers, and A. M. Glaeser, “Effects of Controlled-Geometry Sinusoidal Perturbations on the Morphological Evolution of Pore Channels in Sapphire”, International Ceramic Monographs, 1 , 268-73 (1994)
6. M. Kitayama, J. D. Powers, L. Kulinsky, and A. M. Glaeser, “Microdesigned Interfaces: New Opportunities for Studies of Surfaces and Grain Boundaries”, Ceramic Microstructures ’96 (1996)
7. L. Kulinsky, J. D. Powers, and A. M. Glaeser, “Morphological Evolution of Pre-Perturbed Pore Channels in Sapphire”, Acta Materialia, 44 , 4115–30 (1996)
8. M. Kitayama, J. D. Powers, L. Kulinsky, and A. M. Glaeser, “Surface and interface properties of alumina via model studies of microdesigned interfaces”, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 19 , 2191–2209 (1999)
9. T. Desai, D. Hansford, L. Kulinsky, A. Nashat, G. Rasi, J. Tu, Y. Wang, M. Zhang, and M. Ferrari, “Nanopore technology for biomedical applications”, Biomedical Microdevices, 2 , 11-40 (1999)
10. H-K A. Tsai, K-S Ma, C. Wand, H. Xu, C. Wang, J. Zoval, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Development of Integrated Protection for Miniaturized Implantable Controlled Drug Delivery System”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, 16 , S295-299 (2007)
11. H. Xu, K. Malladi, C. Wang, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Carbon Post Microarrays for Glucose Sensors”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 23 , 1637-44 (2008) Lawrence Kulinsky, Ph.D. Page 4 of 8
12. H-K A. Tsai, E. A. Moschou, L. Kulinsky, S. Daunert, and M. Madou, “Integrating Biosensors and Drug Delivery: A Step Closer Toward Scalable Responsive Drug Delivery Systems”, Advanced Materials, 21, 656-660 (2009)
13. X. Casadevall i Solvas, R. Lambert, L. Kulinsky, R. Rangel, and M. Madou, “Au/PPy Actuators for Active Micromixing and Mass Transport Enhancement”, Micro and Nanosystems, 1 , 2-11 (2009)
14. D. Chakraborty, R. Gorkin, M. Madou, L. Kulinsky, and S. Chakraborty, “Capillary Filling in Centrifugally Actuated Microfluidic Devices with Dynamically Evolving Contact Line Motion”, Journal of Applied Physics, 105 , 084904-13 (2009)
15. X. Casadevall i Solvas, R. A. Lambert, L. Kulinsky, R. H. Rangel, and M. J. Madou, “Micromixing and Flow Manipulation with Polymer Actuators”, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, OnLine First, 0419 (2011)
16. G. B. Bisht, G. Canton, A. Mirsepassi, L. Kulinsky, S. Oh, D. Dunn-Rankin, and M. J. Madou, “Controlled Continuous Patterning of Polymeric Nanofibers on 3D Substrates Using Low-Voltage Near-Field Electrospinning”, Nanoletters, 11 , 1831-1837 (2011)
17. R. Gorkin, S. Soroori, W. Southard, L. Clime, T. Veres, H. Kido, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Suction-Enhanced Siphon Valves for Centrifugal Microfluidic Platforms”, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, OnLine First, 0922 (2011)
18. C. H. Chen, A. Torrents, L. Kulinsky, R. D. Nelson, M. J. Madou, L. Valdevit, and J. C. LaRue, “Mechanical Characterizations of Cast Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene): Poly(styrenesulfonate)/ Polyvinyl Alcohol thin films”, Synthetic Metals, 161 [21-22], 2259-2267 (2011)
19. C. H. Chen, J. C. LaRue, R. D. Nelson, L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, “ Electrical Conductivity of Polymer Blends of Poly (3,4ethylenedioxythiophene) : Poly ( styrenesulfonate) :N-Methyl-2- pyrrolidinone (PEDOT:PSS:NMP) and Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA)”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Online First 2/1/2012 (2012)
20. G. B. Bisht, S. Nesterenko, L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, “A Computer-Controlled Near-Field Electrospinning Setup and Its Graphic User Interface for Precision Patterning of Functional Nanofibers on 2D and 3D Substrates”, Journal of Laboratory Automation, 17 , 302-308 (2012)
21. G. B. Bisht, S. Holmberg. L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, “A Diffusion-Free Mediator based Miniature Biofuel Cell Anode fabricated on a Carbon-MEMS Electrode”, Langmuir, 28 , 14055- 14064 (2012)
22. G. Canton, G. B. Bisht, L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, “Controlled Patterning and Dimensional Control of Suspended Carbon Nanofibers”, Advanced Materials Research, 628, 43-49 (2013)
23. G. Thio, S. Soroori, F. Ibrahim, W. Alfaqheri, N. Soin, L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, ”Theoretical Development and Critical Analysis of Burst Frequency Equations for Passive Valves on Centrifugal Microfluidic Platforms”, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Online First Jan 6., 2013 (2013)
24. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, L. Kulinsky, M. Madou, and S. O. Martinez-Chapa, “PPyDEP: A new approach to microparticle manipulation employing polymer-based electrodes”, Lab On a Chip, 13, 4642-4652 (2013)
25. V. Ho, C. Zhou, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Fabrication of 3D polypyrrole microstructures and their utilization as electrodes in supercapacitors”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 23 , 125029 (2013)
26. S. Soroori, L. Kulinsky, H. Kido, and M. J. Madou “Design and implementation of fluidic micropulleys for flow control on centrifugal microfluidic platforms”, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 16 , 1117-1129 (2014)
27. G. Canton, T. Do, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Improved conductivity of suspended carbon fibers through integration of C-MEMS and Electro-Mechanical Spinning technologies”, Carbon, 71, 338- 342 (2014)
28. S. Holmberg, A. Perebikovsky, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “3-D Micro and Nano Technologies for Improvements in Electrochemical Power Devices”, Micromachines, 5, 171-203 (2014)
29. A. Kazemzadeh, P. Ganesan, F. Ibrahim, M. Mahdi Aeinehvand, Lawrence Kulinsky, Marc J. Madou, “Gating valve on spinning microfluidic platforms: A flow switch/control concept”, Sensors and Actuators B, 204, 149–158 (2014)
30. J. H. Lee, L. Kulinsky, M. Madou, B. Kim, B. C. Yi, and J. H. Kim, “2-D equivalent finite element model of quadratic linear electromagnetic actuator”, Journal of Vibroengineering, 16 , 2047-53 (2014)
31. C. H. Choi, L. Kulinsky, J. S. Jun, and J. H. Kim, “A Numerical Study of the Spring-Back Phenomenon in Bending with a Rebar Bending Machine”, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 6, 959207 (2014)
32. D. Carpentras, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “A novel magnetic active valve for Lab-on-CD technology”, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 24 , 99 (2015)
33. S-J. Lee , L. Kulinsky , B. Park , S. H. Lee , and J. H. Kim, “Design optimization of coil gun to improve muzzle velocity”, Journal of Vibroengineering, 17 , 554-561 (2015)
34. V. Ho, A. G. Narenji, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “The Detachment Process and Release Efficiency of Polypyrrole/Gold Bilayer Actuators,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 24 , 1616- 1621 (2015)
35. A. Kazemzadeh, P. Ganesan, F. Ibrahim, L. Kulinsky, and M. J. Madou, “Guided routing on spinning microfluidic platforms”, RSC Advances, 5 , 8669-8679 (2105)
36. L. Kong, A. Perebikovsky, J. Moebius, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Lab-on-a-CD: A Fully Integrated Molecular Diagnostic System”, Journal of Laboratory Automation, Online First June 16, 2015, 1-33 (2015)
37. V. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, M. Vazquez-Pinon, S. O. Martinez-Chapa, and L. Kulinsky, “A novel micro/nano fabrication process based on the combined use of dielectrophoresis, electroosmotic flow, and electrodeposition for surface patterning”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 25  (2015)
38. S. Soroori, J. M. Rodriguez‑Delgado, H. Kido, G. Dieck‑Assad, M. Madou, and L. Kulinsky, “The use of polybutene for controlling the flow of liquids in centrifugal microfluidic systems”, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, First online: 07 January 2016 (2016)
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
1. J. D. Powers, L. Kulinsky, M. Kitayama, and A. M. Glaeser, “Effects of Titanium Doping on Surfaces and Interfacial Properties of Alumina”, Structure and Properties of Interfaces and Ceramics: MRS Symposia Proceedings 357, 313–18, Materials Research Society (1995)
2. L. Kulinsky, Y. Wang, M. Ferrari, “Electroviscous effects in microchannels”, Proc. SPIE 3606, 158 (1999)
3. L. Kulinsky, H. Xu, H-K A. Tsai, and M. Madou, “System-based approach for an advanced drug delivery platform”, Proc. SPIE 6173, 61730M (2006)
4. H. Xu, C. Wang, L. Kulinsky, J. Zoval, and M. Madou, “Sensor-integrated polymer actuators for closed-loop drug delivery system”, Proc. SPIE 6172, 61720R (2006)
5. H-K A. Tsai, K-S Ma, J. Zoval, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Packaged Au-PPy valves for drug delivery systems”, Proc. SPIE 6168, 61681E (2006)
6. H. Xu, H-K A. Tsai, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Electroactive Polymer Use in Novel Drug Delivery Applications”, Proc. SAMPE (2006)
7. V. Ho, M. Shimada, D. Szeto, P. Mukherjee, Q. Kang, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Novel Fabrication Technology for Three-Dimensional High Surface Area Pyrolyzed Structures”, Proc. SPIE 7647, 76472F (2010)
8. V. Ho, X. Solvas, D. Scott, L. Dolci, L. Kulinsky, S. Daunert, and M. Madou, “Utilization of Electroactive Polymer Actuators in Micromixing and in Extended-Life Biosensor Applications”, Proc. SPIE 7647, 764735 (2010)
9. V. Ho, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Novel Fabrication Process of 3D Conductive Polymer Structures”, Proceedings of Technologies for Future Micro-Nano Manufacturing, Napa, CA, Aug 8- 10 (2011)
10. G. Bisht, G. Canton, A. Mirsepassi, D. Dunn-Rankin, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Novel Polymeric Inks for Precision Patterning of Carbon Micro/Nano-Fibers Using Near-Field Electrospinning”, Proceedings of Technologies for Future Micro-Nano Manufacturing, Napa, CA, Aug 8-10 (2011)
11. V. Ho, X. Casadevall, L. Kulinsky, M. Madou, “Polypyrrole/Gold Bilayer Actuators as Valves for a Responsive Drug Delivery System and Their Long Term In Vitro Functionality”, 3rd International Workshop on Nanotechnology and Application Conference, Vung Tau, Vietnam (2011)
12. G. Bisht, S. Nesterenko, G. Canton, H. Liu, L. Kulinsky, and M. Madou, “Controlled Micropatterning of Continuous Conducting Nanofiber Arrays Using Low-Voltage Near-Field Electrospinning”, Proceedings of 7th International Conference on MicroManufacturing, Northwestern University, IL, March 12-14 (2012)
13. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, L. Kulinsky, B. H. Lapizco-Encinas, S. O. Martinez-Chapa, and M. J. Madou, “3D Carbon Cages For Dielectrophoretic-Based Bioparticle Separation/Concentration Applications”, Proceedings of AIChE Annual Meeting Conference, New York, NY, AIChE (2012)
14. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, L. Kulinsky, B. H. Lapizco-Encinas, M. J. Madou, and S. O. MartinezChapa,” C-MEMS Based Electrodes For The Dielectric Characterization of Microparticles Employing Dielectrophoresis”, Proceedings of AIChE Annual Meeting Conference, New York, NY, AIChE (2012)
15. G. Canton, L. Kulinsky, M.J. Madou, “Electro-Mechanical Spinning: A new manufacturing technique for micro/nano-fabrication of carbon fibers”, Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Advanced Packaging Materials (APM), Irvine, CA, Feb. 27 – March 1 (2013)
16. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, L. Kulinsky, and S. O. Martinez-Chapa,” Dielectrophoresis-assisted electroconductive polymer-based fabrication of high surface area electrodes”, Proc. SPIE 9056, 905628 (2014)
17. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, R. Celis-Cordova, L. Kulinsky, M. J. Madou, and S. O. MartinezChapa, “Improving dielectrophoretic manipulation efficiency employing pitted and bumpy Lawrence Kulinsky, Ph.D. Page 7 of 8 interdigitated electrodes”, Proceedings of AIChE Annual Meeting Conference, New York, NY, AIChE (2014)
18. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, S. O. Navarro-Rodriguez, L. Kulinsky, M. J. Madou, and S. O. Martinez-Chapa, “Improving dielectrophoretic manipulation efficiency employing pitted and bumpy interdigitated electrodes”, Proceedings of AIChE Annual Meeting Conference, New York, NY, AIChE (2014)
19. G. Canton, C. Mendoza-Buenrostro, M. Madou, and L. Kulinsky, “Joule Heating Based Sublimation Thinning of Suspended Nanofibers”, Proceedings of 10th International Conference on MicroManufacturing, Milan, Italy, March 30- April 2 (2015)
20. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, M. Vazquez-Piñon, S. O. Martinez-Chapa, and L. Kulinsky, “An Electrokinetically-Driven Microfabrication Process for Additive Manufacturing Applications”, Proceedings of 10th International Conference on MicroManufacturing, Milan, Italy, March 30- April 2 (2015)
21. V. H. Perez-Gonzalez, V. Ho, M. Vazquez-Pinon, L. Kulinsky, and S. Martinez-Chapa, “Additive Micromanufacturing Process of Electrokinetic Surface Patterning Utilizing Electroconductive Polymers”, Proceedings of 11th International Conference on MicroManufacturing, Irvine, CA, March 29- 31 (2016)
22. N. Li, Y-C. Lin, B. Dolan, and L. Kulinsky, “Use of additive manufacturing in creating sub-millimeter micro-architectured structures via investment casting” Proceedings of 11th International Conference on MicroManufacturing, Irvine, CA, March 29- 31 (2016)
Patents and Invention Disclosures:
1. “Five layer adhesive/insulator/metal/insulator/adhesive tape for semiconductor die packaging” Patents 6,768,211 (2003) and 6,621,166 (2004)
2. “Semiconductor device with capacitively coupled field plate” Patent 7,525,178 (2009)
3. “Polymer-based high surface area multi-layered three-dimensional structures and method of making same” Patent 8,641,883 B2 (2010)
4. “Centrifugal Microfluidic Platform with Modular Components” 2010-237-0 (2010)
5. “Centrifugal Microfluidic Device with Lateral Flow Assay Capabilities” 2011-300-0 (2011)
6. “Dielectrophoresis and Electrodeposition Process for Selective Particle Entrapment” Patent 9,353,455 (2013)
7. “Centrifugal Micro-Pulley Pump to Direct Fluid Flows Towards Center of CD” 2013-693-0 (2013)
8. “Centrifugal Force-Based Valving Technique For Lab-On-a-Chip Applications” 2014-216-0 (2014)
9. “Device and Method for Drag Force-Based Particle Separation” 2014-215-0 (2013)
10. “Automated CD Microfluidic Device for Cell Culture” 2014-796-0 (2014)
11. “Device for the Efficient Capture and Detection of Analytes” 2015-225-0 (2015)
12. “3D Printed Mini-Trumpet Lab on Chip” 2015-219-1 (2015)
13. “Imprinter for Conformal Coating of Three-Dimensional Surfaces” 62/078,274 (2015)
14. “Selective Laser Sintering Using Functional Inclusions Dispersed In The Matrix Material Being Created” 15/171,911 (2016)
15. “Sieve Container for Contactless Media Exchange for Cell Growth” 2016-920-1 (2016)